Thursday, August 19, 2010

the doily isn't dead

I saw this print a few months ago...


and it cracked me up!  I love the whimsical and unexpected!

Then I came across this last week...


Again, completely unexpected!

Could the doily be making a comeback?

Here are some ways people are re-inventing our grandmothers' doilies...

love this table runner - the different sizes and patterns are really beautiful together!

framed on a simple black mat - easy, inexpensive gallery wall..

don't ask me how they did this??

clever little lampshade - this would be so adorable in a little girl's room!

mod podge that baby onto a painted canvas - easy peasy artwork!

One girl over at sfgirlbybay posted a paper doily she had just sketched on and framed - clever little idea!


One of my favorite bedrooms has a crocheted throw that is so beautiful to me - how great would it be to make a "summer" version of this throw using light doilies!!


Lace is making a comeback this fall too, so while you're digging out grandma's doilies, keep your eyes peeled for her tablecloths too!!  :o)

Michael Kors, Nina Ricci & Alexander McQueen sent beautiful pastel lace pieces down their resort runways this year,

while Oscar de la Renta and Givency went for bolder black lace looks...


Don't try this look at home if you're not a supermodel...  ;o)


But this one is definitely completely stunning..


And this one - I love how she dresses down the lace dress with a military jacket.



Happy Hunting!
(oh and don't forget to ask grandma first!)  :o)

~ the brunette

(images via: apartment therapy, sfgirlbybay, style.com & the sartorialist)

3 comments:

  1. To make the doily vase, a clear glass vase was used. You tightly wrap a doily around a clear vase. Snip away any excess. Then hand-stitch the doily securely in place to create a snug fit.

    A clear glass vase creates an elegant illusion, but experiment with different vases and doilies to find a combination you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lace in fashion ... not so much on the dinner table just not my style. If I had the balls I would totally wear the same dress as the Sartorialist pic. It is beyond hot with the black undies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved doilies. My grandmother taught me to crochet doilies when I was about 9 years old. My favorite ones have pansies around the edges. I inherited all of my grandma's crochet needles.

    Looks like it may be the year to pull out my crocheted shawl!

    ReplyDelete